At Newark Academy we want your child to succeed in every area of their school life, homework is an essential aspect of their curriculum provision. All students are expected to engage with and complete all homework set to the best of their ability and to see homework as enrichment opportunities additional to the school day.
Homework supports students to:
- develop their confidence and self-discipline to work on their own – this is an essential skill for school and adult life
- consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding from subject lessons
- extend their learning, to develop additional skills and knowledge
- dedicate additional time to aspects such as coursework or extended projects
Homework at Newark Academy will include a variety of activities and this might vary from subject to subject. Please expect to see activities such as:
- Writing activities linked to classwork
- Activities linked to examination preparation
- Practical tasks
- Revision activities
- Project work
- Creative tasks
Subject areas will vary in terms of the length of time given to complete homework. Some subject areas might set a project over a half term whereas some will set homework every week.
Teachers will always record homework set, students should ensure that they record homework in their student planner which will be with them at all times.
Parents and carers can support at home by:
- ensuring your child has a quiet place in which to work
- ensuring they have the correct equipment
- ensuring that your child’s extra-curricular activities are structured around dedicated homework time
- asking about homework and encouraging your child to complete homework in good time and to the best of their ability
- encouraging your child to read as widely and as often as possible
- praising your child when homework is completed
Non-completion of homework will result in appropriate action taken by the class teacher – this action will be in line with the school’s Consequences System.
Please feel free to contact your child’s form tutor or class teacher regarding any homework set – we are always interested to hear your views.
- Message from Mr Seymour: School will reopen on Tuesday 19th September
Monday 18th, 9am (Whole School - 18/09/2017)
- Message from Mr Seymour
Saturday 13.45pm (Whole School - 16/09/2017)
- Grove Leisure Centre Fire Update
Saturday 12.15pm: Information Update (Whole School - 16/09/2017)
- Early closure on Wednesday 6th September 2017.
Due to the Great Britain cycle race and travel disruption (Whole School - 03/09/2017)
- Race for Life 2017
Another wonderful event to raise funds for Cancer Research (Physical Education - 02/08/2017)